The Rory Vote-O-Matic is a Firefox Add-on that automatically places votes for Rory Fitzpatrick as one of the Western Conference defensemen for the 2007 NHL All-Star Game in Dallas, Texas. All you need to do to support Rory’s campaign is install this plugin and click the “Start Voting” button. The Rory Vote-O-Matic will do the rest. It isn’t perfect, but it’s persistent and relentless. Just like Rory himself!
- Download and install Firefox if you don’t have it
- Click the “Install now” link above
- Click “Edit Options…” in the security warning and then click the “Allow” button
- Restart Firefox
- Click the Rory icon beside the Firefox location bar
- Choose a locale from the list
- Click the “Start Voting” button
- Uninstall the previous version of the Rory Vote-O-Matic by clicking “Add-ons” under the “Tools” menu in Firefox
- In Windows, delete the “iMacros” folder in “C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\Application Data\”
On Mac OS X, delete the “TemporaryItems” folder in “/Users/<Username>/Library/Caches/”.
- Proceed with the regular installation steps above
- Who the hell is Rory?
- Does it vote for Rory’s big competitors like Lindstrom and Niedermayer?
No. It only votes for the Western Conference defensemen with less votes than Rory on the date released.
- How does it work?
When you click the “Start Voting” button, the Rory Vote-O-Matic browses to the NHL’s voting page. It then randomly selects players, chosing a defensemen with less votes than Rory as one of of the Western Conference defensemen and of course Rory as the other. Then the vote is submitted.
This process is repeated relentlessly until you give up and click the “Stop Voting” button. But giving up is the opposite of Rory, so I don’t recommend it.
- 0.3 (2006-12-25)
This release includes all the new captcha words added by the NHL last week and a couple of promised fixes:
- Fixed: Voting fails because it doesn’t make selections for all the the players
- Fixed: Firefox automatically updates the add-on to the “iMacros for Firefox”
- 0.2 (2006-12-08)
- First version as a Firefox Add-on. Previous version was a bookmarklet.